Our genealogy collection focuses primarily on Edgar County Illinois. To extend our genealogy resources beyond Edgar County, the library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition(in-library only) which offers full-text primary sources, including census, birth, marriage, and death records for the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.; military records; immigration, emigration, passport, and naturalization records; passenger lists; and probate records and more. Search on library computers or your device while in the library.
On our shelves:
- Census Records - Edgar County (microfilm) 1830-1930 and (print, indexed) 1850 - 1880. U.S. census index and images, 1790-1930, on AncestryLibrary.com, available in the library.
- Paris Beacon-News - Microfilm from 1955 to date; obituaries indexed 2006 to date, but the Beacon itself is not indexed. Earlier years (prior to 1955) on microfilm at Edgar County Genealogy Library. See Obituary Requests.
- The Story of Paris and Edgar County - A six volume set of transcribed items from 1849-1907 issues of the Beacon, indexed by name and subject.
- Cemetery Record Listings - Most of Edgar County’s cemeteries, organized by townships. A separate countywide index by last name only (no first names) is available. Our newest cemetery records are 1982. For more recent listings, contact Edgar County Genealogy Library.
- Death Records - Listing for 1877-1925 (not comprehensive). Illinois Statewide Death Index is online Pre-1916 and 1916-1950.
- Marriage Record Index - For Edgar County, 1823-1914. Indexed by bride and groom. Other information such as parents’ names usually included. Basic information (bride/groom, date) online at Illinois Statewide Marriage Index 1763-1900.
- Probate Index - Records at Edgar County Courthouse 1829-1910.
- City Directories - Beginning with 1892 and continuing sporadically through 2010. (Children’s names included in 1962–1999 listings).
- Paris Telephone Books - 1949 to date, some missing years.
- Paris High School Yearbooks - Since 1910.
- County Histories - For Edgar, Crawford, Cumberland, Jasper, Richland, and Clark counties in Illinois and Vigo in Indiana. Only the Edgar County histories are indexed.
- Edgar County Plat Books and atlases - 1870, 1894, 1910, 1945, 1970, 1979, 1987, 1990, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2005.
- Histories - Family histories and histories of some local churches, businesses, and communities.
- Military - Civil War Soldiers from Edgar County; So Proudly We Hail (reproduced clippings about local WWII servicemen and women); index to discharge records; A History of Aviation and Aviators in Edgar County, Illinois 1911-2006.
Questions? Contact Us
See also Additional Genealogy Links
See also Edgar County Genealogy Library