SmartPhones & Tablets
These instructions are for smartphones and tablets, including Nook Color and Nook tablet.
What do I need?
A valid library card from Paris Public Library or other participating Illinois Heartland Library System library and
- Your password/PIN (last 4 digits of the phone number in your library record unless you have changed it)
- Computer with Internet access, for a basic ereader or media player.
- tablet, smartphone, or other device compatible with MyMediaMall.
Where do I start?
Use the browser, Overdrive app and Kindle app on your device.
Sign in at MyMediaMall using a browser
- Go to MyMediaMall on your computer from the Paris Public Library website or directly at www.mymediamall.net.
- Sign in first. Choose Illinois Heartland Library System as your library. Enter your library card barcode number (no spaces) and PIN.
You may get an error message ...
- If the barcode number and /or PIN is incorrect.
- If your library card is expired.
- If there's a balance of $5.00 or more on your library card account.
Try re-entering your barcode and PIN; if that doesn't work, contact the library.
You may select your desired loan period (7 or 14 days) in general by going to Account, then Settings. You may also choose the loan period on specific books when borrowing.
- You may browse by selecting a category list or by clicking on a book cover.
- An ebook shows a small open book icon in its upper right corner. An audiobook shows headphones and a video shows a strip of film.
- The item’s icon is grayed out if it is currently checked out. You may place a hold for the title.
- Use the Search bar to find a specific author or title. If looking for a book to read right now, use Advanced Search to display only items with available copies and in your format.
Choosing Overdrive Read format
- Overdrive Read format lets you read a book in an up-to-date browser on your device without an app and without downloading the item.
- Choose this format when Borrowing your ebook. Favorite/bookmark the book when it first opens in the browser to read offline or return to it later. Remove the Favorite when finished reading.
- If you are finished with the book early, go to your Account in MyMediaMall and tap Return next to the item.
Borrowing Kindle ebooks in your browser (not available in Nooks)
- Search for a Kindle book.
- Tap a title for more information. If the book is available, click Borrow.
- Tap Go to Bookshelf and then the Get for Kindle button to open the Amazon.com website. You may have to sign in to your Amazon account.
- Select your Kindle app, if not already selected. Tap Get library book button and sync your device or app to download the book or choose to send it to your device via USB. Some books require USB transfer.
Using the Overdrive app
- Go to your app store on your device and search for “Overdrive” and install.
- Open app. You will be prompted to sign in with an Adobe id. Most first time users will need to “Register at Adobe.com”. You will be redirected to the Adobe account page where you want to click on “Don’t have an Adobe ID”. Fill out the form and click on “Create”. After successfully creating an ID, press your home button and reopen Overdrive app.
- Click on “Get Books” and find “Settings”. Authorize using your Adobe id that you just created. Go back to “Get Books”.
- Add a library. Enter zip code of home library and search. Select Paris Carnegie Public Library. Tap star to remember your library. Tap MyMediaMall. (Use Illinois Heartland Library System as your library in Account settings to enter your card information and check out.)
- n areas, Get Books and your Bookshelf. There should be a button that will toggle you back and forth. Bookshelf is where your books are located. Get Books is where you search for and check out items.
Returning books early
- You may return books early by going to Manage Your Kindle in your Amazon account.
- You may return epub books or mp3 audiobooks early by going to your Bookshelf in the Overdrive app. Tap the plus sign and choose Return. You may also go to Bookshelf in MyMediaMall in your browser.
- You may return Overdrive Read books early by going to Bookshelf in MyMediaMall and tapping Return next to the item.
- Audiobooks may not be returned early.
What if the book I want is checked out?
When a book is not available for immediate download, click Place a hold and enter your email address. You will receive an email when it’s your turn. Follow the instructions in the email to download.
Things to Remember
- You may have 5 items checked out at once. Items cannot be renewed, but you may be able to check out the item again if available.
- When the loan period ends, the title expires and is automatically returned. You may delete expired titles from your device. Ebooks and audiobooks saved on your device will not work after the loan period ends.
- Tablet and smartphone users may use the library’s public wireless Internet to download.
Where do I go for help?
- My Media Mall’s Help
- Ask us.