Downloads Help - Nooks
|Tablets and smartphones|
Nook Simple Touch and other basic ereaders
These instructions are for the Nook Simple Touch and other basic Nooks, not the Nook Color or Nook Tablet. If you have a different brand of basic ereader, these instructions may be adapted for your ereader. For Nook Color or Nook Tablet, see the tablets section.
What do I need?
A valid library card from Paris Public Library or other participating Illinois Heartland Library System library and
• Your password/PIN (last 4 digits of the phone number in your library record unless you have changed it)
• Computer with Internet access.
• Simple Nook or other basic ereader compatible with MyMediaMall.
Where do I start?
Using a basic Nook requires a computer and Adobe Digital Editions software (a free download).
First, install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. A “Get Software” link can be found at the bottom of any MyMediaMall page or at checkout.
To register the software click on “Get an Adobe ID”. Select “Don’t have an Adobe ID” and fill in the fields on the form. Select “Create” and then go back to Adobe Digital Editions to fill in the Adobe ID fields using the email and password you just created. This activates the software.
Sign in at MyMediaMall
Go to MyMediaMall on your computer from the Paris Public Library website or directly at www.mymediamall.net.
Sign in first. Choose Illinois Heartland Library System as your library. Enter your library card barcode number (no spaces) and PIN.
You may get an error message if
1. the barcode number and /or PIN is incorrect.
2. your library card is expired.
3. there's a balance of $5.00 or more on your library card account.
Try re-entering your barcode and PIN; if that doesn't work, contact the library.
You may select your desired loan period (7 or 14 days) in general by going to Account, then Settings. You may also choose the loan period on specific books when borrowing.
You may browse by selecting a category list or by clicking on a book cover.
An ebook shows a small open book in its upper right corner. An audiobook shows headphones and a video shows a strip of film. Audio and video formats are not compatible with basic ereaders.
The open book symbol is grayed out if the ebook is currently checked out. You may place a hold for the title.
Use the Search bar to find a specific author or title.
If looking for a book to read right now, use Advanced Search to display only items with available copies and in your format.
Formats compatible with Nook
The only formats that work with a Nook are Adobe epub or Adobe PDF.
1. Search until you find a book you want.
2. If the book is available, click Borrow.
3. Click Go to Bookshelf and then Confirm.
4. Click Download. If prompted, choose Open with and then Adobe Digital Editions from the list.
5. Adobe Digital Editions opens and your ebook appears there after download is complete. There are two views, the Library View and the Reading View (button located in upper left corner to switch back and forth). To transfer to your Nook, you need to be in the Library View.
6. To transfer the book to your ereader, plug the device into your computer. You will see Nook appear on the bookshelves menu located on the left. Click on the book cover in Adobe Digital Editions that you want to transfer and drag it to the word Nook.
7. Safely eject your ereader when done.
Returning books early
You may return books early, from Adobe Digital Editions in Library View, hover mouse over book cover. A sideways triangle will appear. Click on the triangle and options will appear.
What if the book I want is checked out?
When a book is not available for immediate download, click Place a hold and enter your email address. You will receive an email when it’s your turn. Follow the instructions in the email to download.
Things to Remember
You may have 5 items checked out at once. Items cannot be renewed. When the loan period ends, the title expires and is automatically returned. You may then delete the file.
Since these ereaders require using Adobe Digital Editions with a unique Adobe ID, ebooks cannot be downloaded using library computers.
Where do I go for more help?
• MyMediaMall’s Help
• Ask us.