Interlibrary loans are transactions in which library materials are loaned from one library to another library. Paris Carnegie Public Library endorses the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code. The library is a member of Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS), ILLINET, SILO, and LVIS (Libraries Very Interested in Sharing).
- Requests within Illinois Heartland Library System are usually submitted through SHARE. The preferred method for libraries submitting requests from outside SHARE is OCLC; requests may also be submitted via mail, email, or fax on an ALA (or equivalent) form.
- Paris Carnegie Public Library will respond to all ILL requests within four working days of receipt. Loans will be sent via IHLS/ILDS delivery in state and by mail out of state. The library does not charge to loan our materials.
- Books, periodicals, audiobooks, and videos are loaned in state. All interlibrary loans are subject to our standard circulation and renewal periods. Reference materials, genealogy, newspapers, microfilm, and current periodical issues are not loaned. Audiobooks and DVDs are not loaned out-of-state.
- Replacement cost will be charged for lost and damaged items.
- Photocopies: The requesting library is responsible for complying with copyright law. Photocopy requests will be filled within 4 working days by fax, ILDS delivery, or mail. There is no charge for interlibrary loan photocopies less than 50 pages.
- Requests for materials owned by the IHLS libraries are placed through SHARE. Paris and other IHLS library cardholders can place their own requests through the online catalog or request the item in person at the main desk, by email or by phone.
- If materials cannot be located in SHARE, the library may request them from libraries outside the system. Our first choice is to request items within Illinois.
- Some libraries do not lend audio or video materials outside their area and some charge a fee for out-of-state interlibrary loan. Paris Carnegie Public Library requests audiobooks or DVDs from in-state libraries only and will not request any items requiring a fee (usually $10 to $20) unless the cardholder has agreed to pay it.
- When items arrive, we notify by telephone, email, or mail. Most items are held 7 days before they are returned to the owning library.
- Fees for overdue, damaged, or lost items from IHLS libraries are determined by the owning library. Late fees for out-of-system materials are charged at our library's rate; out-of-system fees for damaged or lost materials are determined by the owning library.
Approved: Nov. 9, 2009