Resolution No. 2016-1
A RESOLUTION TO COMPLY WITH THE GOVERNMENT TRAVEL EXPENSE CONTROL ACT (50 ILCS 150)
WHEREAS, the Illinois legislature recently enacted the Local Government Travel and Expense Control Act as a response to local governmental officials improperly passing on private entertainment expenses to the taxpayers to become effective January 1, 2017; and
WHEREAS, Paris Carnegie Public Library is committed to being fiscally responsible with taxpayer dollars and following the mandates of state lawmakers;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the President and Board of Trustees of Paris Carnegie Public Library as follows:
Section 1. Adoption: the following Library Reimbursement Policy shall be adopted and added to library policies and shall state as follows:
The Library will only approve travel expenses for employees or trustees if the travel is necessary to complete official Library business or necessary to obtain information for the betterment of the Library in some capacity.
TYPES of EXPENSES ALLOWED and PROHIBITED:
1. The costs of transportation, meals, and lodging (if an overnight stay is necessary) are allowed as described below.
2. The costs of conference fees, supplies and books for educational purposes are allowed.
3. Entertainment expenses and costs for alcohol or liquor are NOT allowed.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE REIMBURSEMENT without BOARD ACTION: Library employees may receive reimbursement for travel expenses without specific Board Action as long as the expenses are under the Maximum Allowable Reimbursement as stated herein and the Procedure for Reimbursement below is followed.
1. The total maximum for any travel for Library purposes is $300. This may change from time to time at the direction of the Board. The Board shall use the following overriding principles to determine the maximums:
a. Automobile expenses will be approved at the IRS rate for business travel if the traveler uses their own automobile.
b. Cost of food shall not include the cost of alcoholic beverages and should be reasonable and customary for the area.
c. Cost of lodging should be reasonable and customary for the area.
2. In the event of an emergency or special circumstance, reimbursement may be approved over the $300 maximum reimbursement limit if approved by a majority of the Board at a properly noticed and regularly scheduled board meeting subject to a roll call vote.
PROCEDURE FOR REIMBURSEMENT: No expenses shall be reimbursed without a request form (as included here) completely filled out with receipts or estimates attached. In the event that travel expense is prepaid, actual receipts must be turned in and attached to the reimbursement request form within 30 days of the completion of travel. Any amount paid in excess of the actual receipts filed must be repaid to the Library within 30 days.
EXPENSES INCURRED BY BOARD MEMBERS: Expenses may only be approved for reimbursement by the Board as a whole at a normally scheduled Board Meeting subject to a roll call vote.
Section 2: Should any portion of this Resolution be declared invalid, the remaining, severable portions, shall, nonetheless, remain in full force and effect.
Section 3: This resolution shall be in full force and effect from and after 10 days following its passage, approval, and posting as required by law.
PASSED BY THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF PARIS CARNEGIE PUBLIC LIBRARY, OF EDGAR COUNTY, STATE OF ILLINOIS, THIS 14TH DAY OF NOVEMBER, 2016.
President, Board of Trustees